I did the same thing after having the same problem and have to agree  the
WInkey USB is (so far) flawless.

But I really would like to know how Tom avoids the issue directly keying
the radio, especially for portable ops.

Operating under W8.1 with direct keying I had about everything that could
be shutdown, shutdown, and still hit the 30 WPM wall without the  WInkeyer.

Scott ka9p

In a message dated 12/4/2015 7:01:22 P.M. Central Standard Time,