From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Eric
Swartz - WA6HHQ, Elecraft
Sent: 19 December, 2015 12:50
To: Oliver Dröse
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KIO3B pricing (was: Re: K3IOB)

Hi Olli,

Yes, 389.95 is the correct price.

This is not a single board. It is a three board set that costs much more
than our old KIO3B to manufacture.  The board set also now contains a new
USB Codec, USB Comm port, Internal USB hub and additional logic to handle
routing of data between the USB and RS-232 paths (all fitting into the same
space as the old boards). The upgrade kit also includes two external cables
(one custom), new hw etc.  These boards are also manufactured at a much
lower volume than those in the PC market, with the subsequent increased cost
on our end. A $200 price would be selling at a significant loss.

Our goal is always to price our products as reasonably as possible after
taking into account our production and support costs while making enough
profit to continue to exist and serve the amateur radio market. We walk that
line carefully every day. And its always a challenge! :-)

73,

Eric
elecraft.com
_..._

> On Dec 19, 2015, at 11:07 AM, Oliver Dröse <dro...@necg.de> wrote:
>
> Would have expected something in the 200 US$ price range but 400 bucks for
an "USB sound card" (as this is the only functional difference to the KIO3A)
is too heavy for my liking, too ... will probably keep going with my
microHAM USB III then ...