I am having an anomaly with the TX Mon power measurements on my P3s. The
power varies significantly depending upon where I put the TX sensor in the
RF chain (K3 -> BPF -> Alpha 87A -> Coax Stubs -> Tuner -> Antenna Coax.) I
have a 3" coax jumper on the appropriate end of the P3's TX sensor. I get
similar results on both of my radios connecting the TX sensor in the same
place in the RF chain. For instance, on 20 meters, with the K3 set to full
power and the Alpha 87A in standby, the P3TX Mon displayed power is as
follows:

TX Mon Location                Watts

@K3 RF Out                         106     -> 6' coax ->

@ BPF Input                         101     That is a 5 watt measured
decrease in a 6' piece of RG-213.

@BPF Output                      92       That is a 9 watt measured decrease
through an Array Solutions W3NQN design BPF. -> 6' coax ->

@Alpha 87A RF Out          86       That is a 6 watt measured decrease in a
6' piece of RG-213 and through an Alpha 87A in standby.

The Alpha 87A RF Output LEDs show just over 100 watts (the 4th LED
flickers.) That indicates to me the TX Mon power displayed is incorrect.
When the Alpha 87A shows full output (all green LEDs lit) the TX Mon reads
1329 watts. That is a 13+% difference. I don't have any other power meter as
a reference.

I have measured both coax jumpers and the BPF individually using an AIM 4170
and a 50 ohm load. The SWR is flat at virtually 1:1 for each. The SWR
displayed on the P3 is almost the same when measured at the K3 (1.53:1) and
on the AIM 4170 at the end of the coax to the antenna (1.48:1.)

Does anyone have a good explanation for this? I know there is a calibration
method for the TX Mon, but I that doesn't explain the measured power drop in
the RF chain with the amp in standby.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT