David,

Reducing the audio drive level "well below ALC indication" is not a good idea because the KX3 will 'power hunt'. You should have at least 4 bars indicated on the ALC meter with the 5th bar flickering. ALC action is indicated by the 5th bar and above. Below that the "ALC" meter is more or less like a VU meter to allow you to adjust the audio drive.

73,
Don W3FPR