Yes I know that Don, the purpose of the test was to see how much overshoot we
got with an CESSB processed audio verses with normal audio and compare them. As
part of my experiments I needed to see how much influence the audio drive level
had and tried different audio drive levels from 0 to 5 bars of VU on the
initial reference tone at the start of the transmission, to study how the power
levelling worked on the KC3. I totally understand the function of the VU meter
aspect of the "ALC" meter on the KX3.

What I didn't want to do was have -any- ALC taking place as it may have masked
the effect I was trying to see on the output envelope, hence the
experimentation on levels which I knew should be below ALC, though as it is
impossible to to turn off the closed loop power levelling in the KX3 it is hard
to do the test at all.

I did try at the normal drive levels as well, and with compression on/off, with
SSB in ESSB and just about any other setting you care to mention.  It was an
experiment, that is all.

What is apparent from looking at the output RF envelope is that the power
levelling system always adjusts the peak power to what you have set in PWR very
rapidly whatever speech audio drive level you apply to the radio. In this
respect it is quite different to other radios, as we know from the instructions
on how to set up levels for data and so on.

The KX3 does show some envelope overshoot even with an external CESSB signal,
showing that the current system is not "CESSB ready" as W9GR would put it.
Meaning that even if an external box was available to produce CESSB audio in
realtime, it would not be of very much benefit with the existing KX3 SSB
modulator. See the QEX article this month (link in earlier post).

I am still interested to know if it would be possible for Elecraft to implement
CESSB (which is freely available) within the KX3 DSP modulator.

CESSB isn't a new MODE, and doesn't need a new receiver demodulator or anything.

Can I just finish by saying that I have no connection at all with W9GR or any
other radio manufacturer.

I and am purely interested in whether this method of increasing average speech
power within an SSB signal without production of clipped overshoot could be of
benefit to Elecraft radios. From the detailed articles in QEX and QST it sounds
to have great potential and is already available by one of the other USA radio
manufacturers as I understand from the referenced article.

73 from David GM4JJJ