Places such as LOWE'S and HOME DEPOT carry stock counter tops. Usually in 4 ft, 6 ft, 8 ft and 10 ft lengths of several different colors. Standard depth including the back splash is about 25". I have used one for years. Choose a light solid color as it makes small parts easy to find. These are much less expensive as opposed to a custom top. Add an antistatic mat which can be used, moved or stowed away.

To support the top, I built a 2 x 4 frame with a riser that is 16" deep. This is the shelf for the test equipment to sit above the working surface. The shelf is covered with 1/4" Masonite. The counter top then sits some 12" lower and in front. In the rise area, also filled with 1/4" Masonite, between the counter top and equipment shelf, I have several GFI outlets, plus a 240 volt 20A outlet for working on amps, along with 3 chassis mount 50 amp PowerPole connectors for my DC needs.

Just decide if you want a sit down bench or a stand up bench for choosing the height above the floor. I chose a stand up bench and I use a tall bar stool with a back. Don't choose a tall stool with casters, otherwise you will become very friendly with the floor.

73
Bob, K4TAX