I agree with Ted. Building my K2 from 1999-2003 (as new options like SSB and 100 W came available), with various updates and mods into 2014, was one of the best experiences I've had in ham radio. With the dominance of SMT in today's designs, the K2 may have been the last major kit of that type, alas.

But if Jim is buying a rig for QRP ops vs. the building experience, the KX3 wins by a pretty wide margin IMO.

73, Phil W7OX

On 1/24/16 8:06 AM, Dauer, Edward wrote:
If you were also thinking about buying new, and if you enjoy the building
process, the KX3 and the K2 are entirely different experiences.  I¹ve
built both, plus the K3 and a number of accessories (PX3, P3, etc.)
Building a KX3 kit is essentially nut-and-bolt assembly of pre-made
pieces.  Interesting to do but not much of a challenge.  The K2 is a
challenge, and for me was a rewarding learning experience.  I haven¹t had
the K2 nearly long enough to offer any comparisons of the two rigs¹
operations - indeed, so far I have hardly used it on the air at all.  But
if building interests you, I would encourage you to consider the K2.  I
personally would not have bought a K2 pre-built.

Ted, KN1CBR

------------------------------

Message: 17
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 11:50:32 -0500
From: "J. Fielden" <gijoe1...@gmail.com>
To: "elecraft@mailman.qth.net" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: [Elecraft] Buying k2 or kx3

hello all, new to the list, hoping to buy a k2 or kx3 within next couple
weeks. I was hoping to find used k2, but seems like all the ones I find are
just couple hundred less than used kx3. Seems like the kx3 is well worth
200 more. I only do Cw / Qrp , and just looking for opinions, thoughts
observations

Thanks, 73
Jim, wa4ar