You need to consider several separate aspects of radio automation. Assuming
you are operating with one radio, consider these:

   - Operating System: There are logging programs for Linux and MacOS but
   your choices are much more limited than with Windows. When I switched from
   Windows to MacOS, I tried Snookum Logger but found it primitive compared to
   Windows offerings. There are other possibilities that I know nothing about.
   At this point I run a virtual Windows machine on my Macbook Pro under
   VMware Fusion. It's complicated but it works.
   - Rig Control: Connect either an RS232 cable or USB cable from your
   computer to the K3s. Tell your logging program the COM port number (or
   identify the USB connection to MacOS) and characteristics (typically
   38400-N-8-1) and then the logger will track the radio's frequency and mode.
   You can also type in a frequency and most loggers will send the rig there.
   Not all of them, though.
   - CW Keying: Although you can key the K3s through the same serial port
   that you use for rig control, I advise against it because unrelated load on
   your computer can sometimes result in "stuttering" - poor keying. Instead,
   I like to use an external keyer and the WinKeyer USB is a very good choice.
   It connects to your computer via a USB cable, to your paddle and to the the
   K3s Key In connector. It forms dots and dashes outside the computer and
   works very well for both computer and manual sending. Some people prefer to
   connect the paddle to the K3 PADDLE input to provide separate speed control
   for manual and computer sending. (I use two paddles, one through the
   external keyer and one direct to the K3.)
   - Voice Messages: If you operate phone, you may want to automate contest
   messages, especially CQ, Exchange and Thanks. If you have the K3s internal
   voice keyer, you can use that, provided your logging program supports it.
   If not, you can let your logger generate voice messages and transfer them
   to the K3 via a sound card. It is best to use an external sound card rather
   than the one inside the computer in order to avoid computer sound effects
   getting transmitted. The Griffen iMic card is simple and inexpensive. (The
   Asus Xonar family are more sophisticated and probably "better." I don't
   have mine working yet.) There are dozens of alternatives. You can plug into
   K3 Line In and leave your live microphone connected to front or rear MIC In
   connectors.
   - Data Modes: The quickest way to get here is to connect a pair of 3.5mm
   phone cables between an external sound card and the K3 Line In and Line Out
   connectors. Run AFSK or PSK with appropriate software. Many prefer FSK
   which requires a cable from a serial port (or carefully chosen
   USB-to-Serial adapter) to the FSK line on the K3 ACC connector. You can
   also use a Signalink or other multi-function interface box, but it's not
   required and won't be any simpler. It might save some cable swapping when
   changing between voice and data modes, depending on the box and how you set
   things up.

There are lots of "moving parts" and patience is a virtue. Consider the
project of getting it all working to be part of your pursuit of ham radio.
Take it one piece at a time and enjoy each individual success.

If you operate two radios (SO2R), it's more complicated. ;-)

GL & 73,

/Rick N6XI

--

Rick Tavan