Yes, but if you apply that category to all programs, there are very few,
including commercial apps, that survive. I am 100% certain that there are major
software applications that are now completely detached from the developers (any
developers), that perfectly fit your description. Some of these would amaze
you. Companies make decisions all the time to do this, wise or not. sigh…

At least with Chen’s programs we have the opportunity to pick up support and
even add features, something you cannot do with non-open source software.

What’s really amazing about this is that I’m not usually a proponent of
open-source. In some cases it is the far better approach.

- Jack, W6FB