Regarding this point, to me the easiest way to run Data modes is to simply use the USB connection between the radio K3S and the computer USB port. No box, no USB to Serial adapter or other cables required. I use FLDIGI and it handles CAT control of the radio and data/audio. Set the CONFIG menu RS232 to USB and not RS-232 which is the default as I recall. No cable swapping when changing modes, SSB, CW or digital.

73
Bob, K4TAX