Hi all,

This morning I was hearing lots of very weak signals in the 40-meter CW band,
right at today's noise floor of about S-5. (Among others, I copied BG4GOV in
Shanghai.)

Many of the signals were not copyable until I turned on APF (audio peaking
filter). This filter's center peak is very narrow (around 30 Hz), but the
response broadens out quickly below the 3-dB points in the curve. This brings
up the desired signal without allowing noise to cause ringing--something often
heard with narrow filters of the "brick-wall" variety. On a noisy band, the
effect is just short of magic.

APF is very narrow, so you'll need to tune in 1-Hz increments when it is turned
on. Also, APF works best when used with a DSP/crystal filter WIDTH setting of
300-500 Hz.

Use of APF differs for the three transceivers.

KX3: 1-Hz tuning is selected automatically on the when the APF switch is
pressed.

K3/K3S: APF is accessed via a hold of the XFIL switch. This function is labeled
"APF" on a K3S, or "DUAL PB" on the K3). Use CONFIG:DUAL PB to make sure the
selected filter function is APF. See the K3/K3S owner's manual for a
description of the alternate setting. 1-Hz tuning can be selected by tapping
FINE.

You might want to give APF a try if you haven't already.

73,
Wayne
N6KR