From: "Don Wilhelm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] K2 Power Calibration
To: "Cathy James" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>

""Adding either the KAT2, KPA100 or KAT100 options will include a proper
wattmeter in the K2 system and the display will indicate the proper power (if the wattmeter is calibrated properly), but the basic K2 uses only an RF Probe type detector and reports the 'power' based on the assumption that the
load is 50 ohms non-reactive.  Try a dummy load and if you see a major
discrepancy, you can blame the interconnecting coax or the wattmeter - the basic K2 power indication is quite correct when the laod is a 50 ohm proper
dummy load.

73,
Don W3FPR""

Don, I attribute a fair amount of the convulsions involved in getting my K2 callibrated to an inaccurate wattmeter. It came on the manual tuner I bought. I fed a 50 ohm dummy load through the tuner with it set to "bypass" I got readings on the wattmeter much higher than those that I was actually putting out as we ascertained when we later used a good wattmeter.

I think this speaks somewhat to assumptions about what the k2 builder will already have or purchase for the project. I already had a good DMM which agrees in the areas we checked with a really good Fluke - no fluke apparently. The manual for the KPA100 suggest you may have problems if you callibrate with a bad wattmeter. Soooooo, if you can use the rf probe which you build with the k2 kit and a DMM, why not suggest this as an alternative method to anyone who suspects his wattmeter is not good or (gasp) doesn't have one? Or am I all confused.

Incidently 5087 works so well, I can't believe the range I get both in and out on ssb 20, 40 & 80- meters with just the 23 foot whip. 73, John KI4NGH