I have to slip a plug in here for my new wattmeter kits... specifically the LP-200 dummy load/wattmeter. You can read about it at www.telepostinc.com. It's like a DL1 on steroids. It includes a 30W dummy load, with a variable speed fan option for 100W continuous rating. It doesn't get nearly as hot as a DL1, even without the fan, but more to the point, it's microprocessor controlled, has digital readout, frequency and temperature compensation, and will accurately display power from 1mW to 120W. It makes a great addition to any bench. I started shipping these about a week ago.

I also have a handheld digital wattmeter (LP-300) for field use that will work at QRPp thru 100W that's real slick and will be out in a few weeks, and a high-end digital meter (LP-100) that will go on sale this week, that is based on my cover article in the Jan/Feb QEX. One unique feature of the LP-100 is the ability to display complex impedance, in addition to lots of other professional features.

The LP-100 and LP-300 feature a nifty peak responding bargraph display that will follow voice peaks, and display power and SWR simultaneously in both analog and numeric form. The LP-300 can not only be used for antenna tuning, but as a realtime monitor for field operating. It has a battery life of 25-100 hours depending on type of battery and backlight usage. It also has a 12v jack for external power. The LP-100 uses a superfast PLED display, and has lots of unique features.

They're all kits, and cover a range of needs. There are links to all three on the above webpage, as well as a link to a comparison matrix of the three. I will be at Dayton with a booth showing these and more.

Larry N8LP
ww.telepostinc.com

Don Brown wrote:

Hi

I will throw my two cents worth. I agree with everything Don is saying here however there are several other ways to get a reasonably accurate power out measurement on a K2 or K2/100. The simplest and maybe least expensive is the Elecraft DL1 dummy load kit. This dummy load will handle 20 watts and includes a built in RF probe to measure the power out. You just connect a voltmeter to the probe out test points and use the included graph to convert the DC voltage to watts. Everyone building a K2 should have one of these simple dummy loads/RF indicator kits for calibration and tune up.

Another method is to use the new Elecraft CP1 directional coupler/power pick off. With it you can use a QRP watt meter like the OHR WM-2 to measure up to 100 watts. You connect the K2/100 to the CP1 and then out of the CP1 to a dummy load that can handle 100 watts like the Tentec 300 watt load or the OHR 100 watt load. Then the forward pick off from the CP1 goes to the WM-2 set on 1 watt if you built the CP1 for 20 db or the 100 mW range if you built the CP1 for 30 db. The WM-2 will read 0-100 watts. If you don't have a watt meter then you can do the same thing with a scope and a little math by connecting the scope across the forward terminator resistor on the CP1. You should be able to do the same with a RF probe and a DC voltmeter with the 20 db version of the CP1. The 30 DB version may have too low of output for the 30 DB version for use with a RF probe.

I also wrote an article several years ago on how to convert the OHR 100 watt dummy load into a 100 watt Pi attenuator with a 20 db down output. This can be used with a scope or QRP watt meter to measure 0-100 watts. I will repost the instructions if anyone is interested.

Thanks

The other Don

Don Brown
KD5NDB