Hi John,
My power dances all over the place (my serial number is 00069).  Just had a
quick QSO with the KPA500 indicating 560 watts at the beginning and then going
down to 480 at the end.  That is typical.  My 12 volt supply drops to 12.2 on
transmit, 13.3 on receive.  I have a long 12 volt  cable from the supply so
“I" squared losses are understandable in the cable. Driving power from the K3
is variable per band but typically set to 25 watts or so.  The QSO described
above was on 17 Meters and the drive is 25 watts there for ~500 watts out or
just below after stabilization.

I remember the power fluctuation issue being discussed years ago on this
reflector and it was explained that the power control uses a sampling and
feedback loop that takes “time” to stabilize.  That said, I believe we are both
experiencing some power fluctuation over 10% in a short period of time.
Depending on the amplifiers we are using this could cause real downstream
issues, like distorted signals, spurs or alarm faulting of smart amplifiers.

Could we have some aging component that is aggravating this issue?  Our K3’s
are among the oldest on the air.

73,
Bill-AK5X