If a power supply sags when lots of power is being drawn, it will affect
whatever is trying to draw the power. For a transmitter / amplifier, that means
the output power is most likely going to sag as well. The extent of the sag is
directly related to how much the power supply sags, which, of course, depends
on how well it is regulated.

For the K3, we recommend well regulated power supplies with short supply leads.
If the supply is rock solid and well regulated, you should see little voltage
drop. Likewise, if you are using short, large wires from the supply to the K3,
you will lose little power in that link. Remember that there is power loss in
cable, and long skinny conductors will heat up and lose more power due to IIR
losses than short fat wires. The K3 will try to correct power output
variations, but if the supply / cabling problems won’t allow that, then it
cannot. At the same time, it is quite possible the original poster needs to
rework his power calibration (again). He had a major change in the components
in his transceiver, and over time and use they will age and cause changes. For
him, I suggest talking to customer support.

The second area is the KPA500. The HV supply is not heavily regulated, by
design. It has a pair of very large capacitors on the supply, but when high
power is being drawn, the output voltage will sag. This is quite normal. Thus
at the start of a transmission the voltage will be high, as will transmitted
output power, then will quickly sag to the nominal output value. This can also
be affected by power cabling. Some operators may see more sag than they should
due to long power cables. We usually see this with amplifiers plugged into 120V
outlets. Make sure your 120V cable is large and as short as possible, AND make
sure the 120V wall cabling is likewise large. I believe the NEC specifies 12
gauge wire for outlets, my experience with that size is very good. If you can
use a 240V supply for the KPA, then it is much better. As pointed out above,
power losses in wire is I*I*R. Since current will be dropped in half when using
240V over 120, the cable power losses will be one-quarter with 240 when
compared to 120V.

Perhaps it might be time for some of us to perform their annual system check
and maintenance, starting with the shack power supply? I’ll start this round
with my own station today!

- Jack Brindle, W6FB