Thanks Ed.

I don't have a problem understanding how the TCXO's work. Maybe I was not clear enough. ;-) Taking your example from below, having only the TCXO-1 it is surely *not* drifting 140 Hz at 28 MHz within the 4 or 5 seconds of the EXREF update cycle (same as the TCXO-3 will not drift by 28 Hz in that time), otherwise the K3 would be a *very* crappy radio. ;-) Think you are missing the time domain here. ;-)

So my question still stands: What's the real value of the TCXO-3 over the TCXO-1 when using the K3EXREF? Unfortunately I do neither have the measuring equipment to measure below 1 Hz drift (and I'm not seeing that amount with my TCXO-1 only K3) nor a TCXO-3. So will the radio drift by 0.0014 Hz with the TCXO-1 + K3EXREF within those 4 seconds and the TCXO-3 will bring it down to 0.00028 Hz? Then I'm probably fine with the TCXO-1 and even the most sophisticated digital modes available. ;-)

73, Olli - DH8BQA

Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de