I think everyone is ignoring something here. What causes the frequency drift in the first place? It is temperature changes - the designation TCXO signifies Temperature Compensated Xtal Oscillator. It is already compensated for temperature. If the temperature of the TCXO stays the same, the frequency should be stable.

There will be some frequency change during warmup after power on, and there will be some frequency change during transmit because the temperature inside the box will increase, and will cool during periods of receive. The difference between the TCXO-1 and the TCXO-3 is one of how much. The TCXO-3 drift will be smaller than the TCXO-1 over the same temperature change.

The drift over the 4 or 5 second correction from the external reference will result in a small correction with either TCXO, but it will be smaller with the TCXO-3. Additionally, the frequency drift will be quite small even without the external reference unless there is a rapid and drastic change in temperature at the case of the TCXO. These discussions should include the temperature change during the measurement periods. to complete the picture.

73,
Don W3FPR