Please reread the first sentence of my prior post, in which I qualified what I
said with the phrase “…if it’s functioning properly.” What I said is NOT in
conflict with your points. Power line noise is, de facto, the result of some
sort of equipment failure. We agree on that. If something is arcing in a power
distribution system, it’s because something is broken.

I suggest that we take go offline with any further discussion on the issue,
since it is OT.

Lew

> On Mar 15, 2016, at 8:58 PM, Jim Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com> wrote:
>
> Lew,
>
> That's in direct conflict with everything I've seen from RFI engineers. Over
> the years, I've seen plenty of reports of hardware in the power system
> failing in a mode that causes it to arc. See
> http://www.arrl.org/power-line-noise for a great discussion of all sorts of
> RF noise, including power line noise. At least 10 years ago, I bought and
> read "AC Power Interference Handbook" by Marv Loftness, a field engineer who
> specialized in that work. He said that virtually all power line noise is
> caused by SOMETHING arcing.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC
>
> On Tue,3/15/2016 3:35 PM, Lewis Phelps wrote:
>> Drawing from a decade of experience working as head of the PR department for
>> a major electric utility (a long time ago), I’d like to suggest that arcing
>> per se should not be a problem at any time with any power line if it is
>> functioning properly. The individual transmission wires are spaced far
>> enough apart that arcing shouldn’t be possible.

> Message delivered to l...@n6lew.us

Lew Phelps N6LEW
Pasadena, CA DM04wd
Elecraft K3-10 / KXV144 / XV432
Yaesu FT-7800
l...@n6lew.us
www.n6lew.us

Generalized Law of Entropy: Sooner or later, everything that has been put
together will fall apart.