On Sun,3/20/2016 6:07 AM, a45wg wrote:
But I would be interested in how other contesters set up their rigs

On CW, my IF bandwidth is usually set around 250 Hz for Search and Pounce, a bit wider for Running (calling CQ) so that I don't miss off-frequency callers. When QRM is really bad, I'll go as narrow as 150 Hz to copy a weak signal, but return to a wider setting when I'm finished with that weak station. When in S&P mode, I use XIT to move my TX a few hundred Hz off of zero beat to separate my call from others. When in Run mode, I use RIT (but not XIT) to tune in off-frequency callers.

Virtually all "contesters" use a contest logging program of some sort. I use N1MM Logger Plus, which is freeware. It is the most popular contest logger both because it is very good, and because it is free. Most other contest loggers are shareware. Contest loggers send messages that we pre-program before the contest (call CQ, send our exchange, send fills), check that a station we want to call is not a Dupe, and maintain the log. For SSB contests, the logger can play back voice messages that you recorded before the contest. For most SSB contests, I only record CQ messages. After the contest, it will automatically produce the Cabrillo file, a plain text file that is sent to the contest organizers to enter our score.

I try to avoid use of the NB, because it generates clicks and band noise from strong off-frequency signals. If band noise is bad, I DO use NR to pull out signals close to the noise level, and if the band is noisy, I leave it on all the time, because it takes the NR a few seconds to adjust to band noise and compensate for it. Whether or not to use the preamp or attenuator depends on band conditions. Generally the preamp is needed at its highest setting on the higher bands (6, 10, 12, and 15M), less often on 20M, rarely on 40M and below. On the lower bands, the ATTENuator should often be used.

I use the P3 extensively, with the SVGA option, to find activity on a slow band (like 10, 15 when they are marginally open), and to find a "hole" in which I can call CQ.

For some contests where it is permitted, or is permitted for the class I want to enter, I'll use the Cluster system to help me find stations to work. When I do that, I use VE7CC's excellent freeware CCluster software to filter spots. For most contests, I choose to see spots FROM stations within about 1,000 miles from me (I'm near San Francisco, so I choose all of W6, W7, VE7, VE6, NM, and CO), but I also choose KH6, KL7, and MD, because that gets me spots that show the stations in my area that I can't hear, but who I have to fit in between when I'm looking for a CQ frequency. Most contest loggers can be set to show those spots on a vertical band map, and to color code them to show them as a multiplier, not yet worked, already worked, non-workable in this contest.

Contest loggers can be set to send CW on the serial port (including a USB serial port), or using a dedicated keyer called a WinKey. WinKey is sold as a kit, and is easy to build. On some computers, keying via the serial/USB port can be choppy, and the WinKey solves that problem.

That's all I do during contests -- no fancy keyboards or other tools. I don't use K3 memories at all -- I use only those in the logging program.

Welcome (back) to contesting. It's the "on the air" activity I enjoy most. You would probably also enjoy joining a local contest club if there is one. I see from your website that you are considering LOTW. By all means DO put your log on both eQSL and LOTW. It saves those who want your QSL a lot of money for postage, and it saves both of you a lot of time. Some awards accept one or the other, but usually not both.

73, Jim K9YC