Hi Ron,

That review of the K3 audio by Rob Sherwood was on a very early K3. We quickly addressed the high freq harmonic issues (most of which were above 4-5 kHz and were more than 50-60 dB down) with a K3 DSP board revision that included a change to a beefier low ESR power supply filter choke feeding the audio amp and the addition of an audio LPF that rolls off above the DSPs max output of 4 kHz. We made even more audio improvements to the new K3S DSP board's audio chain.

On another note, Rob has run spectra on the newer K3S DSP and he has noted it is substantially improved over the first K3 he tested almost 7 years ago.

One thought for those using the 2.7 or 2.8 SSB filters. Try reducing the DSP bandwidth to 2.4 kHz or so, and shifting the center freq. down 100 Hz. Many other radios have a 2.4 kHz SSB filter, and while it does restrict the audio fidelity as compared to the 2.7/2.8 kHz filters, the reduction in the upper cutoff to 2.4 kHz reduces the amount of high frequency band noise and interference, which may account for what some construe as a 'smoother' sound.

Also note that the stock 2.7 kHz filter has a much slower roll off than the optional 8 pole 2.8 kHz filter, and as a result may hear more higher frequency RX components.

Lastly, try listening with our new external SP3 speaker for the K3S and K3. It has an engineered audio response for a very clean and 'smooth' flat response, without major resonances. :-)

73,

Eric
/elecraft.com/