I don't dispute what Barry says below, except that IMO it is a question
of *both* re-profiling the AGC settings within the K3/K3S *and then*
doing whatever else is necessary to present that enhanced range of audio
levels to one's ears.

Neither of those actions can deliver its full benefit without attention
to the other one as well.

73 from Ian GM3SEK

[K3-contesting]
>> Yahoo group about the most important settings for DXing and
contesting
>> has been as follows.
>>
>> * AGC THR: increase to at least 8 (from default = 5) and preferably
>> 12 or even 14 if your ears can handle the increased range of audio
>> levels [2].
>>
>> * AGC SLP: decrease to 8 or even less (from default = 12). Lower SLP
>> settings allow stronger signals to sound somewhat louder, and thus
more
>> realistic, but the range of variation will be partly determined by
the
>> THR setting already made; so always experiment with THR first, and
with
>> SLP afterwards.
>>
>> * AGC DCY = SOFT (not default=NOR). The User Manual claims that "The
>> SOFT setting can reduce IMD caused by traditional AGC, and is
especially
>> useful in 'pileup' conditions, in some cases making it unnecessary to
>> turn AGC off."
>>
>> The settings recommended above have essentially solved the problem of
>> "pileup mush" for those who have tried them... but regrettably,
Elecraft
>> has done almost nothing to make DXers and contesters  aware that such
>> changes are possible.
>>
>> More than 3 years after the firmware release notes boasted that v4.51
>> "greatly improves signal clarity in pile-ups and other high-noise or
>> dense-signal situations, especially with threshold set to 12 or
higher",
>> that information is *still* missing from the User Manual. There is
also
>> no information on how to create different 'profiles' of AGC settings
for
>> different types of users.
>>
>> Meanwhile, Elecraft's factory AGC defaults remain exactly as they
were,
>> still optimized apparently for comfortable 'listening', while many
DXers