Regarding headphones/speakers, the way I learnt it many years ago was that
hi-fidelity transducers were generally a no-no in communications, primarily
because frequency response and other distortions (if done correctly) aided
in hearing desired signals.
Of course, back then our receivers weren't even in the same ballpark as
today's, with their audio processing/filtering capabilities and so forth, so
I suppose it was more common to seek help by introducing distortions in the
transducers themselves, like peaks in the frequency response that helped
shape the signals.

That said, I do use my "hifi" headphones with my K's; I haven't tried my
aviation headset yet though. I'm tempted to give that a go soon as I can
retrieve it from the hangar.

But I wonder if hi-fi speakers and headphones aren't still being too
faithful to what's actually going into them electrically? Even on
top-of-the-line rigs like ours?

73,
LS
W5QD