- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2016
- www.cqp.org

On 3/23/2016 2:52 PM, Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
Back in the 50's and 60's there were many articles in the mags of hams
mounting a headphone in one end of a tube. The length of the tube was cut to
provide resonance at the desired audio frequency. Such filters actually
provided pretty sharp responses for CW operation for Hams with slender
wallets (like mine).

73, Ron AC7AC

-----Original Message-----
From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of
lstavenhagen
Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2016 12:33 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Pileup Mush (was:audio board)

Yes, my first RX when I was a child in the 70's was a Realistic from Radio
Shack. I can't remember the model but it was as wide as the Red Sea,
especially with the built-in speaker. At one point I got a set of comm
headphones with a hefty peak in 400hz or so range and it really worked well
as a "poor man's" audio filter. That was back in the days when novices could
only use CW so it didn't have to sound good on AM sigs (and it didn't), just
good on CW tones. It really helped a bunch - I wish I still had them!

73,
LS
W5QD

delivered to r...@elecraft.com