Most of the electrical length of these physically-short whips is in the
only move the resonance point around within the 40m band. To move the
resonance point between bands, you'd need to tap the coil. MFJ makes such a
whip; scroll to page 2 of this doc and read about the 1899T:

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/support.php?productid=MFJ-1810T