You can, but the better compromise if you can do it is the longest possible
radiating element with the least amount of added inductance in the coil.

Reason being, a very short radiating element, even when tuned to resonance
with a lot of coil will have, among other things, a very low radiation
resistance. In the field this will have two results that will make you tear
your hair out: one, an extremely narrow bandwidth, which will make
adjustments to resonance extremely touchy and two a high swr even at
resonance. So you may still only be able to get it to 2:1 at resonance,
depending on how short your element actually is. And even so, the
performance will be significantly reduced due to the low radiation
resistance.

I do a lot of /p with my Buddipole and have found this through
experimentation. For example, with its stock 5 1/2' whips, it's only
enjoyable to deploy on 10,12 and 15. On 17 and 20, it gets really touchy to
adjust and the 2:1 bandwidth just barely covers the CW portion once tuned.
Also, raising the antenna on my 19' mast raises the resonance enough to
really be annoying to get it setup on 20 meters.

30 and 40 meters, forget it lol....

So I ordered the longer 9' whips for mine and that all but solves the
problem. on 20 meters, for example, only a few turns of each coil is needed,
but the SWR at resonance is commonly 1.2:1 or even 1:1 depending on where I
deploy out in the woods. It's reasonable to tune on 30 meters (and haven't
tried 40 yet). On 10, 12, 15 it can go to full length and no coils are
required at all. There the bandwidth is very wide with a low SWR across
almost the entire 15 meter band for example.

When I really need to "boom in" somewhere with my 10 watts, I setup a
resonant antenna with the long whips and just accept having to adjust the
antenna when I change bands.

When I'm lazy, I just use a 100' wire inverted V centered on my 19' mast and
just use the tuners in my rigs (all my K's have the antenna tuners in them).
That works pretty good, especially on the higher bands, but not quite as
good as resonant setups...

Anyway, just my experience since I operate /p almost 100% of the time now,
out in the mountains here in northern NM. At 10,000' I'm almost a SOTA
operation lol...

73,
LS
W5QD