Hi Wayne,
Yes, I do that too especially on the low bands like 30 on down. I have
found, though, that with the long 9' whips, the bandwidth and SWR is low
enough on 20 and up that I don't even need to use my tuners, especially
since I'm normally down in the CW portions. On 15 and below the overall
length is long enough to form a full sized dipole without the coils. I can
go around the entire globe on 15 with the Buddipole at my selected /p spots
I've found in my local area. One is outside of town on top of a really high
hill (probably about 7100' above sea level) and another is in a state park
in the Sangre De Christo mountains back behind town. The campground I deploy
at there is around 10,000 feet, so with the Buddipole setup as a full length
dipole, I have no trouble working the world on 10 watts if the bands are
good.

And with the tuners, I can be lazy and use my 100' center-fed random wire in
inverted V for everything. The only band the tuners have to hunt around on
with it is 17 meters and they usually can only get down to about 1.7 SWR
(there's probably a current node at the feed point at 18mhz which I could
probably reduce by tweaking the wire length a little bit).

But even the tuner in the K2 can handle the wire antenna on all bands with
no trouble. So I always buy tuners for all my K's....

Tnx es 73,
LS
W5QD