From: Elecraft [mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Esquer
Dave
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2016 1:42 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] Battery requirements for NPOTA activation with KX3/KXPA100

Hi folks,
I know this has been asked and discussed before but I can’t seem to get a
handle on a clear-cut answer …

I am going to do a SSB NPOTA (National Parks on the Air) activation with my
KX3/KXPA100/PX3 on battery power. It has been in the works for a while with a
special use permit required by the NPS.

How much battery capacity do I need if I want to run full 100 watts? For
planning purposes, I am assuming a 6 hour activation with a (highly optimistic
I know) 60 QSOs per hour.

The PX3 will be powered by a separate LiFePo 4.8 aH battery, it will do just
fine. My concern is the amount of draw I will need to last the 6 hours. With an
inline (Hobby King) HK-010 Power Analyzer, I see a max current (KX3/KXPA100
combo) of about 8 amps and about 80 watts during a QSO. The QSOs varies between
50-80 watts on transmit.

I also know that once I am spotted, I can drop the power down to maybe 75-50
watts to save some battery juice.

I have 2 12v-18aH SLA batteries at the ready, am I woefully underpowered? If
you have any real-world experience or tips, it is most valuable and
appreciated. You can contact me offline at dave dot esquer AT gmail as well.

Thanks,
Dave, K6WDE

delivered to fptowns...@earthlink.net