In the 1950's the U.S. 2nd class commercial Radiotelegraph license exam
required 20 wpm sending and receiving. Receiving was 5 character random
groups that included all punctuation and most of the special characters you
see above the numbers on a keyboard. After 6 months of sea duty as an
assistant radio officer, one could apply for a First Class license that
required the same but at 25 wpm. I don't recall how long we had to copy,
just the elation LS experienced at passing, Hi!

In our work we had to have excellent character-by-character copy, usually
pounding keys on a mill. Contesting is a bit like that except that in a
contest one has a planned format and very short message as contrasted so,
say, copying press (news) for half an hour at a time.

I'm not surprised at the speeds one hears in contests. When rag-chewing,
however, I seldom find stations running more than 20 wpm, often much less.
And I often just "read the mail" in my head listening to CW rag chews while
puttering around the shack.

IMHO, the different uses for CW lend themselves to different learning
techniques. I have met good, competent contest operators completely unable
to have a QSO that is not a contest exchange. They simply cannot think
conversationally at a key or paddle. On a keyboard they often revert to a
brag tape and must QRT when it runs out. And of course, everyone seems to go
through a bit of a learning curve to copy CW in their head.

After all these years 99% of my operating is still CW. I joke that I spent
so much time learning CW that I am determined to get as much value from the
effort. (It's not entirely a joke, Hi!)

73 Ron AC7AC