Wow, a touch screen. Wow? Come on, it's just an interface between man and machine.

Just some ( and I mean /some/) thoughts:

A touch screen can be a cheap set of programmable buttons.
Could be nice for a user and maybe a cost reduction for the manufacturer. Nothing special and I'm not impressed at all. The touchscreen has several drawbacks as have been already stated. To add one: screen buttons can take up too much space on the screen if the screen is not big enough. My screen must display useful information (that is what screens are for), and must have a fair size.

A touch screen is nice if you want to manipulate things.
Manipulating things: zooming in and out, rotating, moving, etc. As long as it is easier with than with a mouse, the touch screen is super. (precise manipulation is easier with a mouse)

Ergonomically: high resolution (duh) and easy to access.
Screens in ham transceivers used to be vertical, like a computer screen, also vertical. The 'classical' touch screens are more or less horizontal, like tablets and smartphones. Some manufacturers have tried to make hamradio equipment with touch screens that are somewhere in between: IC-7100 panel, Acom-2000 panel, etc. I think we have to learn from the windows-8 computers and ditto laptops how we tend to do things. In which cases do we touch the screen?

High resolution info on a high resolution screen
A good resolution screen is as good as the resolution of the info.

73
Arie PA3A

---