On 4/26/2016 1:45 PM, Wayne Burdick wrote:
The P3 also has far more screen height dedicated to the spectrum and waterfall displays,
I believe. Aren't the 7300's displays a total of only 1/2" or 1" tall,
depending on the display mode?

Wayne

Something around that size yes (played with one but not here yet to verify). But that brings up another issue not mentioned.

Most rigs sit on a table for easy access by the operator hand. That location does allow comfortable continuous viewing of the display for long term, even if the bale tips the radio up (for that it should be eye level). One can equate this to the KX3 on a tabletop. The 7300 display is a cute feature that should have had an external video out port. [A single antenna port is another shortcoming for HF/6M operations.]

But that brings up a feature of the 7300; for $100 more (the one time expense of software shared with many other Icom radios) the display can be seen on a computer screen and the waterfall can be separate to the display. In fact the waterfall can be moved to a second computer screen while running the control software on the primary screen. The other added costs here are the computer and second screen, not trivial but ballpark of the P3 with SVGA and monitor. [One can use a sound card and the IQ from the KX3 too, cheaper still.]

I like a filled toolbox and Elecraft is clearly my favorite brand. For home, I use the entire K3 line with reasonable DX success (272 entities worked from a dipole over the last few years). It's a well integrated collection that plays EXTREMELY well. While it isn't 'cheap' it is well worth the expense and I won't give it up (well maybe shift to a K3S later but for now no).

While I'd love to duplicate the home station in the RV (sometimes as brutal traveling conditions as many DXpeditions), it's more practical (because of antenna limitations, weight, space and budget) to use something else. I considered the K3S/100 for the home station and moving the (stripped down) K3/100 with tuner to the RV. I looked at the KX3, PX3 and the amp (or even another amp brand). I looked at other brands too. The end goal is a decent, basic 100 watt radio that was low budget for FD and portable use with ability to use nearly anything for the antenna.

The IC-7300 ($1425) with the AH-4 ($239) tuner (matches nearly any 23'+ wire 80-6M and if enough wire or near resonance for 160M, there too) compares to a K3S/100 with tuner for just above half the cost. Of course there are other options, brands etc. But unless something negative appears suddenly from the folks using them (i.e. if it barely meets transmitter cleanliness, horrendous key clicks) makes the Icom package hard to beat for a portable 100 watt second station (RV) given the current prices. For that environment, I'd rather beat up a cheaper radio in the RV than one that costs more. So it meets the needs; it's the correct tool for my need.

[If the antenna is resonant, the internal tuner can be used; another 7300 feature is that at half power, the tuner is rated for 10:1 mismatch.]

I don't expect the stellar K3 performance from the 7300; it's NOT Elecraft. However, I expect it to be more than 'adequate' and on the very rare occasion that I'm the DX, it will be fine. It may well have to be Elecraft on the other end to complete that QSO, we'll see. :-)

If it turns out to be a poor choice, I can sell it at a slight loss or (more likely) I can put it in my kids place for his use and I'll operate it remotely. In any case, it's fun to play.

73,
Rick wa6nhc