My thoughts on the IC-7300 after using it for several days:

1. The tuner is a lot more capable than 3:1. Much better than older Icoms.

2. Achieving correct viewing angle can almost always be corrected by a little Shop 101.

3. The height of the display is limited to the size of the screen and that by the size of the radio. That said - the screen is a wonder of organization of things needed to control a complex system

4. Two antenna ports, video output, receive only antenna port are all the things you will see in the next step-up model

5. Touch screens allow a hierarchical and updateable organization of functions and properties - this is a fundamental principle of user interface design

6. Sit down with say a TS-590SG (Same basic price) and operate for an hour. Then repeat with IC-7300. You'll instantly see a 20th century user interface and a 21st century user interface. The IC-7300 will blow you a way. So much information at your fingertips. The IC-7300 is a wonderful example of how 21st century technology pervades everything. (Get used to it)

Fortunately, I have two separate operating positions. The K-Line occupies my main position. Stocking the second position is always fun. Been through K2 (best), TS-450, IC-746, TS-590SG, FTdx-1200 (Nice rig) and now the IC-7300. The 7300 leaves all the other entry level radios in the dust. It has placed a strong stack in the ground of technological advancement and will be the pivotal product for the next 10 to 20 years. Just like the K2 was when it hit the market. Even more like the K3 which was *truly* a pivotal product.

Doug -- K0DXV

Message delivered to k0...@aol.com