"It all depends" is/was the premise for my reply, Don.

 If new and old hams don't understand the potential problems with long runs
of coax to/from an antenna they want to operate on multiple bands and an ATU
in the shack they will be surprised at how inefficient their system is.

P.S. I don't subscribe to the notion that quality coax runs of < 150 feet
make it "ok" to have the ATU in the shack while operating an antenna on
multiple bands....what technical evidence of that posit do you have to
share????

Note 1: I had a 43' vertical with top loading wires in a NORD-style config
with my external ATU at the base of the vertical and 120' of coax back to
the shack ---- never saw a VSWR delta of more than .2 between what was
"seen" at the input to the tuner and what was "seen" at the xmtr while
operating on 160 through 20 meters.