Some good observations, Dale. A comparison with the KX1 might also be pertinent, since that is the radio in the Elecraft line I see it replacing.

One thing: You said "I can only guess at the decreased capability of the optional ATU. The one for the KX2 may still be sufficient for most needs, but I just hate to see less capability. Elecraft ATU's in the K3 and KX3 are great, and I guess I just get nervous about less.". I've seen nothing to suggest less capability in the ATU vs. the KX3's ATU. The KX2 FAQ includes "7L/7C network (KXAT2) - 8L/8C network (KXAT3)", but with fewer bands I suspect the ATUs are equally capable -- and the spec in the FAQ says "matching range typ. 20:1 or higher" which seems good enough.

Would I want to lug and power my PX3 with the KX2? Seems that would defeat the purpose of a small, portable battery-operated rig. But for portable ops with an AC supply, I'd take the KX3 so it doesn't matter to me. Clearly the KX2 is not intended to replace the KX3 in the Elecraft product line.

As to "So, how do you describe the difference in ten words or less? Is the KX2 a stripped down version of the KX3, or is the KX3 a deluxe KX2?", perhaps a KX1 comparison would be more to the point, Dale :-)

73, Phil W7OX