If I could get rid of the pauses, I could use the K3s built-in USB
sound card. The KX3 doesn't have one, so I'd need an external audio
interface or sound card if I wanted total voice automation with that
rig.

Unfortunately, since the KX3 (and KX2) lack dedicated Line In/Ln Out
jacks, interfacing headphones and a mic at the same time as a sound
card for DVK and/or RTTY/PSK is nearly impossible.  That significantly
limits the suitability of the KX3 (and KX2) as a serious contest rig
even if one discounts the 20 dB *higher* transmit phase noise of the
KX3 (comparison of composite noise test data of K3/100 [Feb 2009 >
1 KHz.] vs. KX3 [Dec 2012]) or nearly double the keying bandwidth at
60 WPM of the KX3 vs. K3 (same two product reviews).

The K3 is cleaner at 1 KW than the barefoot KX3.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV