What sort of "small computer", Brian?

Phil W7OX

On 6/23/16 4:31 PM, Brian Waterworth wrote:
In prep for field day, I decided to stage everything last night and also
ran into the same problem as you describe.  I re-seated all the cables.  No
effect.  I turned on the rx shft on the kx3 and the nasty noise shifted
away.  Ok, that's good.  But not what I wanted.

I disconnected the USB acc1 cable from the small computer I was planning to
take with me to FD and the noise vanished.  Each of the computer, the kx3,
px3, external power supply, external antenna tuner are all grounded to a
common point.  The exception is the monitor and fan (it's going to be hot
:-).

I connected the same setup using a raspberry pi instead of the small
computer and no noise observed at the tuned frequency.  Drat.

So, I am thinking of buying a powered USB hub to try and isolate the USB
acc1 cable plugged into the PX3.  Seems as thought the small computer I was
going to use is picking up the internal IF and bringing it back into the
PX3, KX3 via the USB acc1 cable.

regards,
Brian
VE3IBW