On Thu,6/23/2016 7:16 PM, Brian Waterworth wrote:
For some context on why I went to a common point.  I read, what I thought
was an excellent article, about ground loops from the Flexradio site a
couple of years ago.  Here is the link:
http://kc.flex-radio.com/knowledgebasearticle50426.aspx

I thought that daisy chaining would introduce ground loops and hence the
reason I went to a common point.
Look at your equipment -- there is already a "daisy-chained" loop between equipment in the form of those audio cables and coax. The problem, as Don notes, is that they often don't go to the chassis, but rather to the circuit board, which couples hum, buzz, and RFI into and out of equipment. This is "The Pin One Problem," first identified by pro audio engineer Neil Muncy (W3WJE, SK) in 1994. Virtually all ham gear, including Flex and Elecraft, has Pin One Problems at audio and control connectors.

However, I don't think you are advising this.

Brian,

Study my slides that Don referenced. The concept of a "ground loop" as a cause of hum, buzz, and RFI is false, and causes people to do the WRONG things to solve such problems. The slides show the TRUE cause, which is leakage current from the AC power system.

The ONLY way in which a "loop" is problematic is that it provides a path for magnetic coupling between victim equipment and a strong magnetic field produced by a noise source. Two common sources are 1) the stray fields produced by big power transformers, and 2) a wiring error in home power wiring called a "double-bonded neutral," where the neutral is bonded to the green wire somewhere other than the point where power enters the building. In both cases, the interference is heard as HUM (pure 60 Hz) rather than BUZZ (harmonics of 60 Hz).

73, Jim K9YC