American Morse Equipment has a variety of small paddles. I have their porta-paddle mounted on my field ops clipboard with Super-Velcro, and it works great. Not sure why you want a small one like the KX3 however, you'll have to figure out how to hold it down. It's hard to beat a Bencher BY-1 ... cost-wise, you can buy several for the price of a Begali <anything>. It takes a bit of adjustment to get it right for you but the wrench to do so comes with it.

Your K3 does Iambic-A and -B, pick one. I've never found an obvious advantage to Iambic and don't use it, but be advised, -B sends a trailing dit all by itself under some circumstances.

Regarding starting on a straight key: That subject is in the top five subjects in ham radio that have migrated directly and completely into a religion -- with arguments pro, con, and ambivalence extending to infinity. :-) Do whatever you feel comfortable with. If your goal is to converse using Morse at speeds above 12-15 WPM, better start with a paddle and keyer. If you are prone to carpal tunnel syndrome [formerly called "glass arm"], go directly to paddle, do not pass GO, and do not collect $200.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the Cal QSO Party 1-2 Oct 2016