Although licensed since 1958 I had never worked six meters either until the 2009 FD. (I skipped 6, went to 2M where I pioneered SSB on the band and worked Tropo, MS and EME)

On that FD, I was casually doing some tune and pounce from home when I decided to listen to 6 with my fairly new K3 and my 80M inverted-vee fed with 200' of RG8. One of the local clubs was cluttering up 50.125 from 9000' up a nearby mountain. Es was going wild so I joined in with the barefoot K3100 (no tuner and a HB preamp) that maybe put out 10W. I worked a few stations on SSB but the locals were making it difficult so I switched to CW and started tuning down from .125. At 50.123 I heard a CQ. It was weak and took some serious listening to pull out the call. I answered him and he came right back with a report.

It was JL8GFB! One hour and eight minutes later I worked JA7WSZ on 50.096. So the band was open for over and hour between AZ and JA and apparently no one knew it but me. (I seldom use spots today and didn't use them at all back then)

Wes  N7WS