Message: 22
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 00:56:16 -0400
From: "Gary Smith" < g...@ka1j.com >

" Extracts: I've never worked any 6M contacts until Field Day...my
160 sloper with my K3s ... 6M from SE Connecticut
was only open to the 4th call area. ...What I found difficult was the
intelligibility of many of the 6M
stations; many sounded almost like they were on LSB but they were on
USB. There was little to understand and it seemed like their signal
was maybe compressed. Others were clear as a bell but I only worked a
few as my amp is 160-10. I'm guessing some of the radios must have
had a problem, I thought it might be indicative of 6M contacts till I
heard the clear stations. But well more than half were impossible to
tune in easily." -Gary KA1J

Gary, I ran our 6 Meter station for the W0NT 7E effort using my K3S, the first
time, and the
club's 5 element yagi. Propagation is always a crap shoot on 6M. This year was
characterized
at our site by popcorn openings-an opening that seemed to explode open with a
station's call and then
disappear as quickly. The openings were sporatic. Heard IL, WI and actually
worked a few TN stations..
Some audio signals were garbled, like aurora, EME, or long path and were very
hard to copy. I had no
large openings that would have allowed me to test the filtering capabilities of
the K3S! Darn!!!! Roughly
25 contacts for 24 hrs...not up to expectations! No Es into California, which
was running the past few
days before FD. Perhaps the yagi was too much antenna. A simple 6M dipole might
have been a
better choice. Thought about constructing one during the exercise but didn't
want to miss any time
away from the radio. Plenty of time to hone the antennas and technique between
now and next FD.

Jim
KC0TRK