Also limited to a narrow portion of the bands, not where the DX normally hung out.

I was a Novice in 1952-53, at the bottom of a cycle. In fact, at the peak of each cycle since then I have not been on the air (timing is everything) or was putting up with a stealth antenna system. Still, I have been close enough to experience some reasonably good propagation.

Bob, N7XY