I believe the "click" Detrick refers to is when you insert the contacts into
the connector housing. There's a nice document on-line showing the proper
way to assemble them if you are "rolling your own" or need to check what you
have. Notice the cutaway view on page 3. It shows the spring contact in the
proper position in the housing. When inserting it in the housing you'll hear
a "click" as the spring drops into place to hold the contact. Looking at the
end of the assembled connector, you should see the contact in place covering
the spring. If it isn't in that position, the contact will slide back
reducing the surface area (and so increasing the heating and voltage drop)
until it fails to make contact at all. Also, those connectors come apart
with little or no force.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Public%20Service/TrainingModules/Technical/An
derson%20powerpole.pdf

I did a quick pull test on a sample of 1 (Elecraft assembled) power cord and
my K3 rear panel pp connector using a spring gage. It requires about 4 lb
(roughly 1.8 kg) to of pull straight back on the connector to separate them.
This is a power cord and K3 that have seen lots of use. It's tight enough I
can slide the K3/100 around on the desk top by the cable if I don't jerk on
it.

73, Ron AC7AC