> Consider a baritone against a soprano on the same settings.  I think
> we need to hear from Jim on how they adjust the mixer settings for
> each person, news or music....

The way EQ settings are adjusted in a recording studio or FM broadcast
(where one is concerned with 20 Hz to 15 or 20 KHz) has *no bearing* in
*communications* service.  As Jim and others have already pointed out,
Ma Bell learned nearly 90 years ago that 300 Hz to 2700 Hz works just
as well for the baritone (or basso profundo) as the soprano (or even
coloratura).  Even news/talk does minimal vocal equalization leaving
that to the preemphasis/deemphasis built into the transmission system.

When it comes to communications, the fundamental tone of the voice is
not [so] important ... what is important is overtone structure and
that is transmitted better in the 300 - 2700 Hz range than a 100 (or
50) Hz to 2200 Hz range for a baritone/basso profundo as the power
is concentrated in the frequency range critical for intelligibility.

With either the baritone or soprano, the speaking voice has very little
useful *power* above 3 KHz.  In RF systems (and old unequalized phone
circuits), there is more broadband noise than actual voice energy above
3 KHz so a 3 KHz roll-off improves intelligibility and reduces "listing
fatigue".

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV