Where did I say anything about a P3?

On 9/28/2016 9:20 PM, Dave Cole wrote:
On Wed, 2016-09-28 at 16:13 -0700, Wes Stewart wrote:
And therein is the rub.  All of these schemes, including the K-Pod, I
believe, require recording macros *in the radio* and recalling them
with button pushes, taps/etc.
The Genovation keypad does not trigger anything in the K3, it triggers a
macro from the P3, which you preload.

I would like (and would purchase) a keypad that takes a simple push of
a button to execute a command (recorded in the keypad) to perform a
function.
Using the Genovation, you get essentially this.  You stack as many
macros as you want, load them into the P3, then trigger that macro
cluster from the Genovation with a single keytap.  The P3 then fires the
macro cluster to the K3.

I detest tap and/or hold and want the function performed regardless of
how long I hold the button.  For example: button 1 sends the command
string to go split and TX up 1 to the radio just like I would using
the K3 Utility.  Button 2, clears that command, and so on and so
forth.
This is exactly how the Genovation works...  There are no press and hold
functions possible with the Genovation.  It uses the macro sets Elecraft
provides, some of which perform the same function a press and hold, only
you trigger it with a single keypress on the Genovation.

If there is a macro for it, then you can trigger it with a single press
of the Genovation, be it instant, or a 10 minutes press, the result is
the same...  An example is the "Split + 5" macro, it does the following
with a single instantaneous keytap:

1.  Puts the radio in split.
2.  Shifts the P3 display to show the DX on the left edge.
3.  Positions the transmit VFO 5 up from the DX.
4.  Sets the P3 span to 6 KHz wide.
5.  Sets the appropriate mode for the P3.

The result you as a user will see for your single keytap is that the DX
is moved to the left side of the P3, showing the high 5 KHz on the right
of the P3 screen, allowing you to control where you transmit using the
VFO B knob.  All with a single tap of a single key.

All I do as the user, is press the SPLIT +5 button on the Genovation,
and all of the above happens.  I just find a hole in the pile up and
send my call using a second button...  Once the DX returns my call, I
press a third button and the report is sent.  DX worked...  I log it,
and move on...

For me, it matters not where the commands are stored, what matters is
what happens when I touch a key.

See:
http://nk7z.net/adding-an-external-keypad-to-the-k3/

Start at the section labeled, "How the P3/SVGA works", to get a more
detailed overview of what is happening when you tap a key on the
Genovation.