I'm one of those firmly in the email camp, but I participate in
a couple of lists that are also perfectly reflected in a forum
system. There's a commercial (but not very expensive) product
that does this - vBulletin. Post to the forum, it also shows
up in email, and vice versa. Forum threading is done by email
subject line. Messages are actually kept in a database like mySQL.

It's pretty cool. I've been contemplating converting one of the
lists I run just to see what it's like.

I liked usenet, too - better threading than the mail readers of
the day. I think the key difference is that I didn't have to
go looking for what's new, which is what it feels like trying
to keep up with a dozen different fora... (usenet isn't dead, btw,
it just smells funny).

73 de chris K6DBG