Chris

I have used and run vBulletin forums for a number of years and although
there are mods available for nntp and email gateways VB does not support
this feature natively.

The forum threading is very frail, first filtered using message ID in the
header, then checking for RE: FW: VB: AW: etc in the subject line to
indicate a reply then checking the string after.

I have ran these email mods and they won't deliver the service you expect.

The only online community which has a well integrated email/web based
interface is actually yahoo groups.

> It's pretty cool. I've been contemplating converting one of
> the lists I run just to see what it's like.

I already ran 2 forums with the email / nntp gateway modification installed,
I was well impressed, it makes a beautiful archive and really nice search
features but threading is a bit unstable and requires a bit of volunteer
action to moderate / organise mis-threaded posts.

The thing to remember is that because the software has to be modified to do
this, which means that the volunteer author may decide one day to stop
support.

The forum software is commercial and the support is second to none, but mod
support is a big risk for a large forum.

Just a few points to consider, constructively that is.

John