Could this be the reason. Does the K3S need to be switched off of safe mode for
the PTT-PTT settings to not change?

PTT/KEY USE WITH THE USB PORT IMPROVED: Some PC applications can control PTT
and

KEY at the K3S via the RTS/DTR signals of the USB port. However, use of these
signals may also allow

the PC’s USB port initialization to unexpectedly activate transmit at the K3S.
This can happen if the

computer is turned on after the K3S, or if the USB cable is not connected.
There is now a "Safe" mode

(the default) which disables PTT-KEY transmit until the K3S receives a command
via USB, such as a

read of the rig's VFO frequency. To turn on safe mode on/off, go into
CONFIG:PTT-KEY and tap '1' to

select "USB SAFE" or "UNSAFE". Exit the menu and turn the K3S off/on.
Applications that use PTTKEY

via USB but never send commands may require "UNSAFE" mode. In this case,
unwanted

transmit can be avoided by turning the PC on before the K3S.

http://www.elecraft.com/manual/E740258E%20K3S%20Owner's%20man%20errata%20A1-2.pdf

Gene, N9TF