FCC office in NYC, mid 60', 2 trips and passed the General and Extra. Had a friend whose call will not be disclosed who was far better at CW than I. Every time he went from nerves just lost it. On his last trip in mid way through the exam the tape machine developed a problem. The examiner said that he would attempt to fix it on his lunch hour and if anyone wanted too they could take the exam over after lunch. Some had passed even as they got a full minute of copy before the machine failed.

At the time the drinking age in NY was 18 and 21 in NJ. So my friend and another fellow he met there had almost 2 hours to kill. They went to a local bar and was pretty much blitzed upon return Had failed in the morning and only missed two letters in the afternoon. Nerves were no longer a factor.

Far different era. The FCC office at 201 Varick Street is still a government office and close by "Radio Row" became the site of the World Trade Center.

But the memories!!

73,

Bob

K2TK  ex KN2TKR (1956) & K2TKR