That “ideal curve” assumes an LC receive filter with a roll off on the high
(and low) frequencies. That peak is a pre-emphasis on the high end to correct
for the receive filters. Modern crystal filters and FIR filters don’t have that
roll off, so it is not needed.

Maybe it works for your own voice and that’s great. But it is a choice, not a
standard setting.

wunder
K6WRU
Walter Underwood