As you may know, the 664 and 666 were EV's first "variable-D" mics -- the 666 was the pro version, the 664 for "PA." The 666 was known as the Buchannon Hammer because Lou Burroughs, co-founder of EV with Al Kahn, demonstrated their ruggedness by using one to drive a nail. (EV was in Buchannon, MI; Lou taught workshops on microphones, and wrote a great text on their use.)

Directional mics have "proximity effect" (bass boost when close to the sound source) that results from their construction -- front and rear openings to the capsule that cancel sound from the back of the mic. Variable-D mics have almost none by virtue of one or more additional openings along the "handle" of the mic. The EV RE16, RE20, and RE27 are variable-D mics.

73, Jim K9YC