Wayne suggests the KX2 and KX3 as mobile rigs, and Jim pointed to a really nice installation for use by the passenger. They are both viable solutions. However, they do have some problems.

I see mobile rigs being used in 3 ways: (1) Campground rigs for use when the vehicle is stopped. Here you can add radials to the antenns and a K3(s) would be wonderful. (2) Operated by a passenger in motion, and (3) Operated by the driver in motion. The driver distraction issues only apply to this last use case.

By way of background, I have installed two mobil rigs. I have a Yaesu FTM-30 in my Miata. It was chosen because it could replace the stock AM/FM broadcast band radio, freeing up space to install it. (There's not much space in a Miata.) It transmits on 2M and 70cm, which covers local communications, but doesn't do HF or 6M. Its UI is a fine example of what NOT to do in a mobile UI.

The other rig was an Icom 706 in a Toyota 4Runner, which has recently gone to the great crusher in the sky. We now have a brand new Subaru Forester which needs a radio, so I am in the market.

The KX2 is missing 6M and 2M which means I will need a second radio for 2M (and 70cm). I could blow off operating on 6M, but I got a lot of use out of 6M in the last VHF contest as a rover. My KX3 has 6M and can be upgraded to have 2M, but it is a bit big for the available space in the console. (The remote head for the 706 fits reasonably well, but the receiver on the 706 isn't super good. In any case, our local ARES/RACES group uses 70cm -- it's the way to hit the local repeater from the hospital EOC since 2M doesn't work -- so 70cm is almost a requirement.

Good as these radios are, their UI is not ideal from a driver distraction point of view. There are several button presses to recall a frequency memory, and there is not an obvious "hands free" solution for California drivers.

All in all, I could see myself ending up with a KX2 and a VHF/UHF radio to be named later. But I dream of a more integrated solution.

73 Bill AE6JV